Culture Heritage Site

HomeHome Culture Exploration Culture Heritage Site

Basic info

  • AssortmentHistory and Culture
  • Address115, Namsa-ro, Sangdang-gu, Cheongju-si, Chungcheongbuk-do (Nammun-ro 2ga)
  • Contact for inquire82-43-201-2023
  • SummaryJungang Park is a living witness of the history of Cheongju and home to important cultural heritage. The Chungcheongdo Byeongma Jeoldosa Headquarters was located in the park, since the park was located in the center of Cheongju. The park is home to five state-designated heritage such as monuments and tangible cultural heritage. An Apgaksu (gingko tree) has been growing in the park as a symbol of Cheongju for 1,000 years. The park is also called Birim Park due to its many memorial stones. There are over 30 memorial stones, including Monument to the Military Achievement of Park Chunmu, Jo Heon, and Yeong Gyu, who recaptured Cheongju, the Cheokhwa Stone of Cheongju, the Memorial Stone to Kim Chalbang, and the Independence Monument of Korea.

Detailed Information

Mangseonnu Pavilion (designated as Provincial Tangible Cultural Asset 110 December 17, 1982) Mangseonnu Pavilion was originally called Chwigyeongnu Pavilion. It was built as an affiliated pavilion as a meeting and partying place for government officials during the Goryeo Dynasty, but it is not clear exactly when the pavilion was built. According to Sindonggukyeojiseungram , the Red Turbans invaded Goryeo in the 10th year of King Gongmin’s (1361) reign, forcing the king to flee to Andong. In November of the same year, the king took refuge in Cheongju and stayed there for several months. It is said that once the Red Turban Rebellion was suppressed, the delighted king held state exams in Cheongju and put a list of successful applicants on this pavilion, which is the oldest wooden structure of the Goryeo Kingdom period in Cheongju.

In the 7th year of King Sejo’s (1461) reign during the Joseon Dynasty, Moksa Lee Baek Sang remodeled the pavilion while Han Myeong Hoe fixed the pavilion’s plaque and changed its name into Mangseonnu Pavilion. Afterwards, the pavilion was repaired several times. In 1922, the Japanese colonial government built Mudeokjeon, so Mangseonnu Pavilion was scheduled to be demolished. But people led by Kim Tae Hui, chairman of the Cheongju Young Men’s Association held a campaign to preserve the pavilion and moved the pavilion to Jeil Church (then Cheongju-eup Church) in 1923. This went down in history as Cheongju’s first civic movement.

The transferred Mangseonnu Pavilion was used for national education movements Korean alphabet classes, various rallies, and lectures by Cheongnam, Cheongju’s first modern educational institute, and Sangdang Kindergarten. After Korea’s liberation from Japan, the pavilion was used as part of Sekwang Middle and High School. However, when it became increasingly likely that the pavilion would collapse due to its deterioration, the city of Cheongju took it apart and moved it to Junang Park, the most popular park among Cheongju citizens, and restored it in December 2000 via historical research.

Seowonhyangyak Monument is a monument to commemorate Seowonhyangyak, which was established by Yulgok Yi I, the representative Confucian scholar of the Joseon Dynasty, while he was serving as a Cheongju Moksa (1571, the 4th year of King Seonjo’s reign). Hyangyak can be interpreted as a basic form of today’s local autonomy by succeeding good traditional customs and warning against evil customs. Seowonhyangyak is the foundation of Hyangyak, and became the model for Korea’s Hyangyak.

Apgaksu (Gingko Tree) (designated as Provincial Monument 5 December 21, 1976) An old ginkgo tree stands in front of the gate. It is said that the loyal subject Yi Saek, who had been falsely accused and locked up, climbed this tree in order to survive a large flood during the end of the Goryeo Dynasty. The large tree is about 900 years old 30m tall, and 8m wide. It gets its name from its roots, which are similar to the webbed foot of a duck.

Tourist Information

  • ission: Free
  • Visitors can hear interesting stories from cultural tourism interpreters.

How to come

Traffic Information

  • Cheongju IC – Drive 10.47km along Garosu-ro - Turn right - Move 527m along Sajik-daero 350beon-gil - Turn left - Move 46m on Namsa-ro - Arrival
  • Osong Station - Move 81m - Turn right - Move 323m along Osonggarak-ro - Turn left - Move 321m - Turn right at Osong 2 Intersection towards ‘Cheongju, Cheongju IC, Cheonan, Jochiwon’ – Move 368m - Turn left at Osong 2 Intersection towrds ‘Cheongju, Cheongju IC’ - Move 581m along Garosu-ro – Enter Gungpyeong Elevated Bridge and move 14.03km along Garosu-ro - Turn right - Move 527m along Sajik-daero 350beon-gil - Turn left - Move 46m along Namsa-ro - Arrival

Bus Departure Information at Osong Station

  • General Bus 511, 517 (for Jeongha) (Osong Station) – Get off at Cheongju Bridge Bus Stop
  • Seat Bus 500 (underground shopping area, east endpoint) (Osong Station) – Get off at Underground Shopping Area Bus Stop

Bus Departure Information at Gagyeongdong Intercity Bus Terminal

  • Seat Bus 105 (for Hyeongseok Academy) (Intercity Bus Terminal) – Get off at Sangdang Park Bus Stop – Walk for 10 minutes
  • Seat Bus 405 (for Sintanjin) (Intercity Bus Terminal) – Get off at Iron Flagpole of Yongdusa Temple Site Bus Stop
  • General Bus 311 (for Muneui) (Intercity Bus Terminal) – Get off at Underground Shopping Area Bus Stop
  • General Bus 832 (Intercity Bus Terminal) – Get off at Iron Flagpole of Yongdusa Temple Site Bus Stop