Go to the Contents

Living in Cheongju

Hi korea e-Government for Foreigner

Hi, Korea, e-Government for Foreigner, offers a one-stop online platform for foreigners in Korea for almost all administrative work and information that may need.

Services : General inquiries, Visa issuance, Work and Visit Lottery, Naturalization, Registration cards, Eligibility check for employment, Civil petitions, Medical institutions, etc.

Alien Registration (외국인등록, pronounced oe-gug-in deung-lok)

Cheongju Immigration Office

52, Biha-ro 12beon-gil, Heungdeok-gu, Cheongju
+82 1345

Korea Immigration Service, Ministry of Justice

+82 2 2110 3000

All individuals who do not have Korean citizenship and intend to live in Korea for longer than six months need to register with Immigration to get an Alien Registration Card (ARC)

ARC is equivalent to a social security and ID card all in one. An ARC is needed to register and sign up for essential services such as a cell phone plan, internet, banking, as well as a credit card. Having an ARC also allows you to be enrolled in the Korean national health/medical insurance and pension plan. You must register for an ARC card within 90 days of your arrival.

All foreigners over 17 are required to carry a passport, visa or ARC while in the country. Failure to present one on request is a punishable offence.

How to apply for ARC

  • Step 1Make an appointment to visit the immigration office in your district at www.hikorea.go.kr.
  • Step 2Submit to the immigration office clerk the required documents below. Opt to have your ARC mailed back to your address (shipping fee will be applied).

    Required documents
    • Alien Registration Application Form
    • One (1) photocopy of School Registration License
    • One (1) passport-sized photo
    • One (1) sealed medical test results (that includes TBPE & HIV test) ‧ one (1) photocopy of accommodation contract
    • One (1) signed confirmation letter of an accommodation residency
    • Both your original passport and one (1) photocopy of passport
    • Application fee W30,000

    The required documents may be different depending on the type of visa held by the applicant.
    For more information, please visit Hi! Korea.

  • Step 3Your application review will take up to 3~5 weeks. Once the application is approved, ARC will be mailed to you.

Reporting a change of information

Change of information or incorrect personal information can be reported by either visiting the immigration office or at Hi! Korea website, within 14 days from the date of change or receipt of ARC.
Failure to report may result in a fine up to W1,000,000.

Getting a new card

A new foreign registration card can be applied for if one is lost, stolen, damaged or if there is a change to any of the details recorded on the card. The application must be made within 14 days from the date the card is no longer valid.

“Application for re-issuance” form must be submitted at the local immigration office with a color photograph and the original card, if available. If the original card is lost, then a document stating the reasons for re-issuance must be submitted.

A re-issuance fee of W10,000 will be charged upon application submission.

Marriage Certificate

(혼인관계증명서, pronounced hone-in-gwan-gae jeung-myung-suh)

City hall district offices (gu-cheong) in Cheongju
Family registration desk

  • Sangdanggu-cheong294, Hyochon-ri, Namil-myeon, Sangdang-gu +82 43 201 5112
  • Seowongu-cheong 227, Sajik-daero, Seowon-gu +82 43 201 6112
  • Heungdeokgu-cheong 88, Daenong-ro, Heungdeok-gu +82 43 201 7112
  • Cheongwongu-cheong 871, Jikji-daero, Cheongwon-gu+82 43 201 8112

A common misunderstanding is that you will be married at the Embassy; in fact, you will be married under the laws of Korea. Marriage in Korea is a civil procedure, so a religious ceremony, while often more meaningful, does not create a legal marriage.

Required documents

  • PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP: A valid passport of your nationality is sufficient to prove your citizenship for marriage. If you have no valid passport of your nationality at the time of marriage, you must submit the appropriate documents to prove your citizenship. For further information, please contact your Embassy.
  • PHOTOGRAPHIC PROOF OF IDENTITY such as the passport, driver’s license, military I.D., etc
  • A COMPLETED AFFIDAVIT OF ELIGIBILITY FOR MARRIAGE, affirming that you are free and eligible to marry. Forms are available at your Embassy.
  • If the person is under the age of 19, written permission to marry from both parents is required.


Once all the required documents have been obtained, you must go to the local City Hall district office (gu-cheong) and declare their intention to marry. Two Korean citizens must be accompanied to act as witnesses and to sign and declare that the marriage between the couple is legitimate. Also, the following information is needed:

  • Names of the bride and groom in English
  • Date of birth of the bride and groom

After all the relevant documents have been submitted and filed for marriage registration, the registration form is stamped. The couple is then issued with a filing receipt or “Certification of Marriage Registration” (수리증명서, pronounced soo-ree jeung-myung-suh) which proves that the marriage report has been accepted.

For marriages between a Korean citizen and a foreigner, a Korean marriage certificate is issued within seven working days. For marriages between two foreigners, a verification certificate is issued within three to four working days, and the marriage is then valid.

* Please note that if your fiancé(e) is not Korean, they should contact their embassy in Korea and seek advice on requirements on getting married in Korea.


Tax Management Division, Cheongju Tax Office
+82 43 230 9322 (for income tax)

Financial Affairs Division, Cheongju City Government
+82 43 220 6180 (for resident tax)

Foreign nationals residing in Korea are subject to Korea taxation. Two major taxes applied equally to all Koreans and non-Koreans residing in Korea are income tax (national tax) and a resident tax (local tax).

Income tax

Korea has a progressive tax rate, which in 2013 was as follows:
Progressive Tax:

  • Earnings up to W12million: 6%
  • W12 million ~ W46 million: W720,000+15% of the amount over W12 million
  • W46 million ~ W88 million: W5,820,000 + 24% of the amount over W46 million
  • W88 million ~ W300 million: W15,900,000 + 35% of the amount over W88 million
  • over W300 million: W90,100,000 + 38% of the amount over W300 million

Flat Tax: Foreign residents can choose to pay a flat tax at 20.9% instead of the progressive tax as described above

Resident tax

All residents (Korean and Foreign) pay a resident surtax, which is 10% of their taxable income.
Foreign employees who chose the flat rate option would then pay 18.5% when the resident surtax is added.
Foreign employees who chose the progressive rate would pay 6%, 16.5%, 26.4%, 35% or 41.8% when the resident surtax is added.

Other taxes

Upon acquisition of properties such as real estate or a car, Koreans and foreign nationals residing in Korea will be liable to acquisition tax, property tax, registration tax, etc.

For more information or to ask specific questions, you can contact the National Tax Service via:

  • International Tax Resource Management Office of the NTS at +82-2-397-1444.
  • Foreign taxpayer advocate service - questions asked online (For many government sites still best accessed via Internet Explorer. Note you may be required to download ActiveX.)
  • English 'helpline' - +82 2 1588-0560

Vehicle Registration (source: angloinfo.com)

(자동차등록, pronounced ja-dong-cha deung-lok)

Cheongju Vehicle Registration Office
+82 43 230 9322 (for income tax)

Financial Affairs Division, Cheongju City Government
+82 43 220 6180 (for resident tax)

It is important to register a car within 15 days of its purchase which must be done at the local government office of the district of residence. Buyers can get relevant information or register the car at the vehicle registration office at local government, or on the Ecar website (in Korean).

Documents needed when registering a new car:

  • Certified copy of foreigner registration card and passport
  • Application for registration (Ja Dong Cha Deung Lok)
  • Vehicle certificate (for a new vehicle) or import certificate (for an imported vehicle)
  • A temporary number plate, issued by the dealership, allowing the new owner to drive the vehicle for about ten days. After ten days, this must be exchanged for a permanent number plate which can be obtained from the local district office
  • Proof of valid vehicle liability insurance
  • Certificate for safety test (Inspection Sticker) issued by the manufacturer

Documents needed when registering a used car:

  • Car registration certificate
  • Certificate of used car transfer (contract)
  • Foreigner registration card (or a certificate of alien registration). For those who do not yet have an alien registration card, two Korean national sponsors and a certificate of entry are required
  • Certificate the buyer has a liability insurance policy and public bonds

When buying a used car, buyers should check the original registration and any outstanding balance taxes which can be done at the district office (gu-cheong) where the car is registered in order to confirm that any car loan has been fully paid off. The buyers can check all this information on the Ecar website (in Korean).